Thursday 10 November 2016

Beutiful Belgian Town That You Might Have Never Heard Of!

I've spent hours on Instagram and Pinterest scrolling through pics of Belgian cities before actually going there to visit my friends. I knew I'm going to love it and I was right! And I actually didn't even go to one of those well known cities...



I spent 4 days visiting my friends in beautiful city of Leuven, Belgium. This was my first time in Belgium so I was really excited to go there and see the beauties of its unique culture. And I wasn't disappointed...

You might now be asking how could I recommend you to go to Leuven if I haven't been to other Belgian cities? Well... When you ask someone (google) which cities you should visit in Belgium, you'll propably find these: Brussels, Ghent, Antwerpen, Bruges,... Leuven won't most likely be in TOP 5 or you won't find it at all.
I'm not saying you shouldn't go anywhere else, not saying that the other cities are less beautiful until I see them myself. But! As I already mentioned, before my trip I've spent such a long time going through Instagram and Pinterest pictures of many Belgian cities and now after actually visiting one I'm honestly saying that they don't look that much more interesting than this small less-known but not less-beautiful student city!

But are there actually any other reasons, other than my subjective opinion, why you should visit Leuven?
1. It's only 15 minutes away by train from Brussels main airport (and about 30 minutes from the centre of Brussels)
2. It's less touristic and crowded ... It's also university city so if you come during the weekend the streets will be even less crowded than during the week (don't forget though that in Belgium shops are closed on Sunday which, however, doesn't prevent you from enjoying strolling through this beautiful city, having coffee and waffles)
3. Because it's student city you'll find some wild parties there! Wanna dance all night? Come during the week!
4. Beautiful old town which is also quite small. You can slowly walk for 2 or 3 hours to see the whole inner city! Definitely make sure that you see all those beautiful sights that Leuven has to offer: Town Hall, Oude Markt, University Library and Bell Tower, Grote Markt, Botanical Garden and many more!
5. Belgian beer! Leuven is (like any other Belgian city I guess) full of bars with many Belgian beers! But Leuven is the hometown of well known beer Stella Artois so you can not only taste it but also go visit its brewery.

Because this visit was more about having fun with my friends than being a tourist I didn't bring my camera with me. I still managed to capture some pics with my phone during that warm autumn weather. I can honestly imagine visiting Leuven in any season of the year because it will always have something to offer! You can always drink beer or coffee sitting outside of bars and cafes and if it's too cold it's propably Christmas time and then you simply go get some hot wine to the Christmas markets :)
In Leuven, I felt like I went back in time and that was not only while strolling through Groot Begijnhof (this quater is listed in UNESCO). I think that unless you're from Flanders and some parts of the Netherlands or Germany you'll be overwhelmed by the beauty of Belgian architecture! I was ... :)

There was one more thing I really loved about Belgium as well. I noticed that people I met walking on the street during the weekend looked quite calm. They were enjoying sun, going to the botanical garden or just walking through small streets in the centre. They simply went out to have coffee and enjoy time with their loved ones. I'm not really used to see that here in the Czech Republic... and I wish I would one day :)

Have you ever been to Leuven or at least Belgium? Did you like it? :)

************************

Předtím, než jsem odjela na návštěvu ke svým belgickým přátelům, jsem strávila hodiny a hodiny prohlížením si fotek belgických měst na Instagramu a na Pinterestu. Tušila jsem, že se mi v Belgii bude líbit a měla jsem pravdu! A to jsem ani nebyla v jednom z těch známých měst...

Do Belgie, konkrétně do Lovaně, jsem jela na 4 dny navštívit své belgické kamarády. Tohle bylo prvně, co jsem jela do Belgie a opravdu jsem se na tu, pro mne novou, belgickou kulturu těšila. Rozhodně jsem nebyla zklamaná... 

Asi si teď říkáte, jak vám můžu doporučovat, abyste jeli právě do Lovaně, když jsem vlastně jinde v Belgii nebyla. No... Když se někoho zeptáte (třeba googlu), kam byste v Belgii měli vyrazit, většinou na vás vypadnou jména měst jako je Brusel, Antverpy, Gent nebo Bruges, ... Lovaň zřejmě v první pětce nebude, dost možná nebude ani v celém seznamu. Neříkám také, že byste se neměli jet podívat i do jiných měst, že by byla méně krásná (tedy alespoň dokud se tam sama nepodívám). Ale jak už jsem zmínila, strávila jsem před odjezdem hodně času na Instagramu a na Pinterestu a po návštěvě Lovaně mi nepřišlo, že by tohle docela neznámé a méně turisty zaplněné město bylo také méně zajímavé. 

Asi bych vám ale měla nabídnout i jiné důvody, než ty mé subjektivní, proč byste měli vyrazit právě do Lovaně!
1. Z hlavního bruselského letiště to sem trvá pouze 15 minut vlakem (a z centra Bruselu maximálně 30)!
2. Město není tolik orientované na turisty a také jich není tak plné, jako další známější města (jako univerzitní město je ideální Lovaň navštívit o víkendu, kdy jsou všichni studenti pryč. Nezapomeňte ale, že jsou v Belgii v neděli zavřené všechny obchody, což vás ale nemůže odradit od klidné procházky městem, při které si můžete zajít na kávu nebo/a vafle).
3. Právě proto, že jde o město plné studentů, sem můžete vyrazit na pořádnou párty! Pokud chcete protancovat celou noc, přijeďte v pracovním týdnu.
4. Projděte si nádherné staré město. Pomalou procházkou ho projdete za 2 - 3 hodiny a ještě si stihnete dát nějakou dobrotu. Určitě navštivte známé památky: radnici, budovu univerzitní knihovny, staré i velké náměstí, botanickou zahradu... a spoustu dalších! 
5. Belgické pivo! V Lovani (a samozřejmě i dalších belgických městech) najdete spoustu barů plných belgického piva. V Lovani je navíc pivovar, kde se vaří známá Stella Artois, kam můžete vyrazit na prohlídku. 

Protože jsem tentokrát do Belgie jela hlavně užít si víkend s kamarády, nebrala jsem si s sebou foťák. Přesto jsem fotek v tom nádherném a teplém podzimním počasí vyfotila celkem dost! Upřímně si umím představit, že je Lovaň krásná v každém ročním období. Celý rok si můžete dát kávu nebo pivo na venkovní zahrádce, kterými jsou uličky doslova posety, a pokud je na to moc zima, pravděpodobně už je čas na svařák na jednom z vánočních trhů! :) 
Při návštěvě Lovaně jsem si připadala, jako bych se vrátila hluboko do minulosti, a to nejen při procházce částí Groot Begijnhof (která je zapsaná na seznamu památek UNESCO), ale při procházce všemi úzkými uličkami a nevelkými náměstími. Pokud žijete ve Flandrách či částech Nizozemska nebo Německa, zřejmě vám belgická architektura nebude připadat nijak výjimečná, já jsem se do ní ale zamilovala :)

Při návštěvě Lovaně jsem si však zamilovala ještě jednu věc. Když jsme se o víkendu procházeli v centru, potkali jsme mnoho rodin a skupin lidí, kteří si užívali piva, krásného podzimního počasí a společnosti svých blízkých. Tahle klidná atmosféra se mi opravdu líbila, hlavně asi proto, že takhle neděle u nás v Čechách většinou nevypadají. Třeba jednou dojde tahle pohodová nedělní atmosféra i k nám... :)

A co vy, byli jste někdy v Lovani, nebo alespoň v Belgii? :)



















































 

11 comments:

  1. Krásne mesto. V Belgicku som zatiaľ nebola, ale rada by som.

    SlavikStories
    Čítanie je sexy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went to Bruges last Christmas for the markets and really enjoyed it. Love to travel around more in Belgium.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness, this looks so beautiful! Belgium is my favourite country in the world - and now I have more reasons to return there!
    Katja xxx
    www.katnapped.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your are right, I have never heard of this town before but oh my gosh, this place looks completely beautiful. I am obsessed with the gorgeous building, they are so detailed. I would love to visit here one day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Discovering places not in maps or in this case not in (google) is much fun for me because I love to think that I know more than those travelers. If I were you I would probably make notes on people as you did. Lovely post.

    GIGI

    ReplyDelete
  6. I heard before that Leuven is a pretty city, still have to visit it though (it's pretty close to me I think... ;)). Loving your photos and you written this so well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Belgie se i zatím vyhýbá, ale doufám, že jednou budu mít možnost se tam podívat :) A Lovaň vypadá krásně. Miluju všechny ty cihlové stavby!:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ive always wanted to go to Belgium! This is great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks really nice and it has some great places to take photos xo

    www.theninebyivana.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Do Belgie bych se určitě podívat chtěla, ale asi bych se řídila návrhy Googlu. Tohle městečko ale vypadá skvěle!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's an excellent article. Much useful information

    ReplyDelete